Quantcast

49 Killed At Christchurch In New Zealand—The Attack Was Streamed On Facebook Live

49 Killed At Christchurch In New Zealand—The Attack Was Streamed On Facebook Live

Photo Credit: Dianne Manson/Getty Images

We’re sending our prayers to the other side of the world today, to all those affected by the horrific attack in New Zealand.

The death toll has climbed to 49, innocent men, women and children that were tragically killed in a mass shooting at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand. The attack happened in the early hours of Friday morning and the gunman streamed a 17 minute live video of the attack on Facebook. An account believed to belong to the gunman posted a link to an 87-page white nationalist manifesto on Twitter and 8chan; an online messaging board used to share extremist messages and cheer on mass shooters. The same account also shared photos of weaponry painted with the names of well-known mass shooters.

In a press conference New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern described it as “an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.”

So far here’s what we know, Shots were fired at both Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue in the center of the city and three miles at Linwood Mosque. When news started to break, NZ police commissioner, Mike Bush, said that 41 people had been killed at Al Noor Mosque and seven at Linwood Mosque, and that another victim had died at Christchurch Hospital. As far as the injured, 48 additional people, including young children, are being treated for gunshot wounds that range from critical to minor.

Officials are saying a 28 year-old man has been charged with murder, he is set to appear in court tomorrow. Four total people, three men and one woman, have been taken into custody, one of them is Australian. Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia, who identified one of the suspects arrested as Australian-born, said the attack was carried out by an “extremist right-wing, violent terrorist.” An unreleased number of firearms were found at the scene as well as two explosive devices that were found attached to a vehicle they had stopped.

Police are still working to find out how the three others who were detained, could have been involved. The police commissioner says that one may have had nothing to do with the attack. None of those detained are on security watch lists. The country is urging people not to go to mosques anywhere and are asking all mosques nationally to “close your doors until you hear from us again.” The entire thing is extremely tragic and we are praying for all the lives lost as well as their loved ones. Check out some twitter reactions below: