Photo Credits: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images
Ten alleged suspects have been charged in a series of celebrity burglaries including the homes of Rihanna, Yasiel Puig and Robert Woods.
Last summer the burglars targeted some of Los Angeles’ wealthiest neighborhoods that many big name celebs call home. Back in September 10 suspects ranging in age from 18-34 were arrested in connection to the robberies. The suspects are now facing charges including criminal street gang conspiracy, first-degree residential burglary, home invasion robbery, first-degree residential robbery, and attempted burglary. Some of the suspects are alleged gang members.
The suspects are said to have selected the victims based on information from the star’s social media accounts. Investigators say they found a list of other potential targets, with big names like Lebron James, Matt Damon, Viola Davis and others. LAPD says “Initially, it was believed that these homes were being burglarized at random. However, detectives learned that this was not the case.” The crimes took place between October 2017 and October of this year.
They believed their strategy included “flocking”, meaning they rode around affluent neighborhoods in luxury cars and wore business casual attire as their camouflage. The break-ins typically were completed within just minutes of arriving at the homes. Before entering, police said, one of the suspects “would typically knock or ring a doorbell” to double check the home wasn’t occupied. High end handbags, jewelry, and $50,000 in cash were among the items seized at the time of the arrests. Check out the video from the press conference last month:
LIVE: Press Conference to announce arrest of suspects for burglaries targeting actors, musicians and pro athletes https://t.co/qxdoAhpiyT
— LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) October 2, 2018